You've heard of the recent Supreme Court decision regarding affirmative action in college admissions. As someone with extensive experience in college admissions, I believe it's crucial to understand the implications of this ruling.
- The Supreme Court has overturned long-standing precedent, stating that colleges and universities can no longer consider race as a specific basis for granting admission.
- Chief Justice John Roberts, in the majority opinion, argues that the admissions programs at Harvard and the University of North Carolina violated the Equal Protection Clause by lacking measurable objectives and involving racial stereotyping.
- While the court claims it is not explicitly ending race-based affirmative action, the practical implications make it extremely challenging for colleges and universities to consider race in admissions. This may result in a significant impact on the diversity of college campuses.
Considering the potential effects, it is essential to address the impact on US students of color AND international students, and the increased competition they may face. The social justice movement's focus on supporting domestic low-income students has already diverted resources away from international applicants. This trend will continue, making it even more challenging for international students to gain admission to American colleges and universities.
In light of these developments, it is crucial to focus on the controllable aspects of college applications. Here are some key points to consider:
- Emphasize academic achievements: Maintain strong grades and aim for high standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT.
- Make a positive impact: Seek opportunities to contribute to your community and highlight leadership skills through extracurricular activities and volunteer work.
- Develop a comprehensive strategy: AIM (Admissions and Interactive Mentoring) can provide valuable assistance in navigating these changes. We invite you to join our Open House event on June 29 at 5:30 pm (ET) at aimonlineacademy.com/satopenhouse. At AIM, we focus on helping students excel in their college admissions journey and achieve their goals.
Remember, a strategic approach is more important than ever. By focusing on the elements within our control, such as grades, test scores, and impactful experiences, students can enhance their chances of success.
We hope to see you at our Open House on June 29th and look forward to supporting you in your college admissions journey! If you'd like to book a 1Hr Call with an Admissions Expert to start your strategic Application Plan click HERE.